Sunday, February 6, 2011

leaning.

The kitten is tired of playing
with this string and me.
So it just dangles there like
I had dangled my heart
in front of you for you to
catch, but you never did.

I'm leaning here on yesterday
because it's tied to closely to
this morning and the sound
of rain running down the
window like the tears that
had run down my face.

And your sympathy is all
that you left me with as I
lay, surrounded in rhetoric
while somewhere, someone
is living through the same
hurt, but choosing to stay.

There is only hope for tomorrow
and that with each passing day
you will fade from my memory
like fog fading when the cold
outside air mixes with the
warmth of my room.

I only wonder if rearranging
the words exchanged would
bring another meaning or
another way to say what
we had to say, instead
of saying goodbye.

And all the while, I continue
to dangle this string and
my broken heart in the
face of something that
might change how I
feel and make it OK.


No comments: