Saturday, February 12, 2011

bukowski

What are you supposed to think
when you grow older and all
you have left are books of poems
filled with words that you wrote
but now seem unimportant?

Pages and pages of crap about
the people you've met, loved, hated
but nothing that seems worth
looking back upon because
it just makes you so sick.

When I'm old enough to have
that pathetic collection of poems
that I keep stacked on a table
like puzzle pieces to my wasted life,
I still won't be Bukowski.

At least he knew what the fuck
he was doing and could tie
words together so that they
pulled each other along like
the cars of a freight train.

And all the while I keep writing
because it seems to be the only
constant thing in my life that
will always be there even if
I leave it in the corner, ignored.

But no matter how many pages
and pages of crap I put on paper,
I will never be that asshole that
wrote such beautiful fucking poems.
I'll never be Bukowski.

No comments: